UroLift: A Treatment for BPH (Enlarged Prostate)
What is BPH?
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, or BPH, is a condition in which the prostate enlarges as men get older. BPH is a very common condition that affects over 40 million Americans and over 500 million aging men worldwide. Over 40% of men in their 50s and over 70% of men in their 60s have BPH1. While BPH is a benign condition and unrelated to prostatecancer, it can greatly affect a man’s quality of life.
As the prostate enlarges, it presses on and blocks the urethra, causing bothersome urinary symptoms such as:
- Frequent need to urinate both day and night
- Weak or slow urinary stream
- A sense that you cannot completely empty your bladder
- Difficulty or delay in starting urination
- Urgent feeling of needing to urinate
- A urinary stream that stops and starts
Advantages of the UroLift System:
- Rapid symptom relief; better than reported for medication
- Risk profile better than reported for surgical procedures such as TURP
- Preservation of sexual function
- Return to normal activity in days rather than months
- Increased quality of life
- Does not require ongoing BPH medications
- Over 25 clinical study publications; 5 years of published clinical data
If you suffer from the above symptoms, you are not alone. BPH is the leading reason men visit a urologist.2
You can measure the severity of your BPH symptoms by taking the International Prostate Symptom Score (IPSS)questionnaire.
- Berry, et al., Journal of Urology 1984
- IMS Health NDTI Urology Specialty Profile Report 2013
What is the UroLift System?
Treatment with the UroLift® System uses a minimally invasive approach that provides rapid relief and recovery of BPH symptoms.1 It is an earlier treatment option can get men off BPH medications and avoid major surgery. The goal of the UroLift System treatment is to relieve symptoms so you can get back to your life and resume your daily activities.
The UroLift® System treatment has demonstrated a significant improvement in quality of life for patients compared to medications.2,3 The UroLift® System is the only BPH procedure shown not to cause new and lasting erectile or ejaculatory dysfunction*, while being a safe and effective treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms due to BPH.1,3-6
Meet Mike Video
How Does The UroLift® System Work?
The UroLift® System uses a revolutionary approach to treating BPH that lifts and holds the enlarged prostate tissue so it no longer blocks the urethra. It is the only available BPH treatment performed by a urologist that does not require heating, cutting, or removal of the prostate tissue. The procedure is typically performed using local anesthesia in aphysician’s office or ambulatory surgery center. Patients typically return home the same day without a catheter.1
UroLift® System Animation
If you would like to know more about the UroLift treatment, click here for FAQs and more information.
- Roehrborn, J Urol 2013, L.I.F.T. Study
- AUA Guidelines 2003
- Roehrborn et al. Can J Urol 2017
- Roehrborn, Can J Urol 2015, 3-Year L.I.F.T. Study
- Roehrborn, Urology Practice 2015, 2-Year L.I.F.T. Study
- Roehrborn Urology Clinics 2016*No instances of new, sustained erectile or ejaculatory dysfunction